Select Page

Things that we feed our horses may be toxic, not Toxic

These things we feed our Horses may be Toxic, not Toxic

These things that we feed our horses may be toxic or not toxic. You probably think these wouldn’t be toxic but will surprise you and make you think twice about feeding these toxic items to your horse. It will be apparent what kind of toxic items you need to keep away from your horse at all costs to keep your horse healthy, It may be simple things such as a vegetable or a fruit, but they can be deadly.

 Fruits and vegetables that are toxic

the Things we feed our Horses may be toxic/ Red Maple Tree

The things we feed our Horses maybe toxic/ Red Maple Tree

These things that we feed our horses are toxic such as fruit and veggies along with trees, shrubs, and nuts are toxic to a horse and I will list them. The fruits and vegetables that are toxic to a horse are Persimmons, Potatoes, Tomato plants, Rhubarb, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Avocado, Brussels sprouts, Kale, Cabbage, Onions, Raw Garlic, Anything of the nightshade family {Peppers. Eggplant }.

Trees and Shrubs that are toxic

These things that we feed our horses are toxic such as trees and shrubs that should be kept away from the horse. These are the Red Maple tree, Oak trees, Sycamore Maple tree, Box Elder Tree, Black Locust tree, Black Walnut trees, Buckeye or the Horse Chestnut Trees, Yew Trees, Pistachio Tree, Chinaberry Tree, Oleander Tree, Cherry, Apricot, Peach trees, and the Acorns off the Oak trees  and silage as well.

These are NOT toxic to a horse

These things that we feed our horse are the Nontoxic things, some need to remove the pits first. These are the Peaches, Apricots, Plums, Prunes, Mangos. The rest of the fruits and Vegetables that are good for the horse are Carrots, Celery, Apples, Berries, Bananas, Cantaloupe, Lettuce, Green beans, Grapes, Oranges and other Citrus fruits. Pineapple, Pears, Watermelon, Squash, Pumpkins can also be given to the horse.

These things we feed our horses whether or not these fruits and vegetables are toxic, keep a poster of what they look like in areas of your barn so they can be seen by others. This prevents horses being fed toxic items and from unnecessary vet calls. This also helps others if they don’t know what they look like and don’t know they are toxic if you board other peoples horses or have others on your property. This is always a good rule of thumb to be aware of and to protect your horses from being poisoned.